Previous issue ·  Next issue ·  Most recent issue · All issues   
Home Overview Authors Editorial Contact Subscribe

Journal of Operator Theory

Volume 41, Issue 2, Spring 1999  pp. 391-420.

A generalization of Beurling's theorem and a class of reflexive algebras

Authors Gelu Popescu
Author institution: Division of Mathematics and Statistic, The University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78249, U.S.A.

Summary:  We study the commutant $\Big\{\rho(\si)\,\big|\, \si\in \ast\limits_{i=1}^n P_i\ Big\}^\prime=:\L^\infty\Big(\ast\limits_{i=1}^n P_i\Big)$ of the right regular r epresentation of the free product semigroup $\ast\limits_{i=1}^n P_i$, where $P_i$, $i=1,2,\ldots, n$, $n\ge 2$, are discrete semigroups with involution, no divisors of the identity, and the ca ncellation property. We obtain a description of the invariant subspace structure of the left regular representation $\Big\{\lambda(\si)\,\big|\, \si\in \ast\limits_{i=1}^n P_i\Big\}$ extending Beur\-ling's theorem, and show that the analytic Toeplitz algebra $\L^\infty\Big(\ast\limits_{i=1}^n P_i\Big)$ is reflexive (resp. hyper-reflexive) and has property $\bbb A_1$ if $n\ge 2$. This leads also to an inner-outer factorization and Szeg\"o type theorem in this algebra when $P_i$ $(i=1,2,\ldots, n)$ are certain totally ordered semigroups.

Contents    Full-Text PDF